This is a recipe given following my post In Search of the Holly Zurek.
Ingredients: (8 servings)
7 medium size potatoes
2 medium size onions
2 garlic cloves
1 cup of dried marjoram
2 spoons of sugar
3 spoons of chicken soup powder
2 bay leaves
1 spoon English pepper
Salt according to taste
1 pack sour cream
About 100 g. flour
1 bottle of rye sourdough – a starter for Zurek Slaski, sold in Polish shops (ZAKWAS DO ZURKU SLASKIEGO)
4 Polish white sausages – KIELBASA BIALA (Also available at Polish shops)
8 Hard boiled eggs
Method of preparation:
- Chop onion, smash garlic.
- In a big pot, put water, chopped onion, smashed garlic, marjoram, English pepper and bay leaves. Cover pot, bring to boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for an hour.
- Chop potatoes in 1 cm cubes. In a different pot, boil potatoes untill they’re soft and put them aside.
- Boil the eggs for 15 minutes, then lay in cold water for 5 minutes and take them out (this is the best way to get them to peel).
- After the soup has cooked for an hour, add chicken soup powder. Correct seasoning: add salt, pepper if needed.
- In a bowl, mix sour cream and half a cup of water. Add flour spoon by spoon till the mixture is homogeneous. For better results, use a whisk or add the flour through a sieve.
- Add the mixture to the boiling soup. Stir well in order to melt or squash any lumps of flour.
- Add sugar and potatoes.
- Add sausages (chopped or whole) and cook for another 10 minutes.
- In the serving bowls, put the eggs (peeled and cut in half). Pour the very hot soup on top and serve.